What is provided?
A variety of quality training courses designed to improve the capacity of foster and group care providers to serve children and youth placed in out-of-home care. Topics meet the requirements for initial and ongoing training as required by the county and various agencies. Courses include CPR/AED, first aid, water safety, crisis prevention, problem solving, and a variety of child and youth care topics.
What is the cost to attend?
There is no cost to eligible participants other than their time and travel to attend the course. For CPR and first aid courses, participants are required to bring a self-addressed stamped envelope in order to receive the card when issued by the American Red Cross.
How is this training funded?
These courses are funded through Title IV-E of the Social Security Act in which the U.S. Congress designates funding for training adults who serve foster children. The program is administered through a partnership with Ventura County Human Service Agency, Ventura County Community College District, and Casa Pacifica Centers for Children and Families.
Who is eligible to participate?
Participants must be at least 18 years old and directly involved in the care of children placed in out-of-home care in Ventura County. If a foster home, participants must life in the same residence as the licensed foster parent. In addition to licensed foster parents and social workers, staff from eligible organizations include:
• Action Family Counseling Group Home
• Agape/Changing Faces Group Homes
• Arrow Child and Family Ministries
• Becker Family Home
• Channel Islands Social Services
• Children’s Alcohol, Rehabilitation, and Education (CARE) Group Homes
• Casa de Esperanza Group Home
• Casa Pacifica Centers for Children and Families
• Children’s Learning Centers
• County of Ventura Human Service Agency
• Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Ventura County
• Family Connections Christian Adoptions
• For the Future Group Home
• Guiding our Youth
• Interface Children and Family Services
• Kids and Families Together
• Kids to Kids Group Homes
• Koinonia Foster Homes
• Marshall Small Family Home
• New Way Group Homes
• Pro Youth Centers
• Raza Small Family Home
• Trinity House Group Homes
• Ventura County Foster Parent Association
If you have eligible participants in your organization and would like to submit your organization for review and possible inclusion on this list, please call 805-366-4064.
May I attend if I am not eligible?
Participation is limited to eligible participants. If you are not eligible and are interested in training, please contact the appropriate parties below:
For individual CPR/AED and first aid
American Red Cross Ventura County Chapter
For contract CPR/AED, first aid, water safety and other workforce development courses
Ventura County Community College District Division of Economic Development
For child and youth care topics
Casa Pacifica Centers for Children and Families